Saturday, December 31, 2011

"Everything Matters!" by Ron Currie Jr.

320 pages

For his entire life, Junior Thibodeaux has had a voice in his head. This is no typical mental illness, however, for everything the voice tells him turns out to be true. No matter how many times Junior tests the voice, it is always right. So that's why he despairs at the fact that the first thing the voice told him, as an infant, was that a comet will obliterate life on Earth in thirty-six years. Alone in this knowledge, he comes of age in rural Maine grappling with the question: Does anything I do matter?

The premise of this story is obviously way out there, and I love that kind of stuff. There's never any explanation for the voice, and I'm okay with that. I just enjoyed the story and wondered what I would do if I were in Junior's position. The story made me think about the meaning of life and all that good stuff as well. Very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment