Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self" by Danielle Evans

229 pages

This collection os short stories offers a perspective on the experience of being young and African-American or mixed-race in modern-day America. Evans addresses the inequalities that these young people face, as well as more universal experiences such as family tension, broken hearts, and insecurity. I really enjoyed every single story! Some made me laugh and some made me sad. Some of them don't have conclusive endings, which usually bugs me, but it seems to fit for stories about young people whose futures are wide-open and uncertain. I like the way that the stories give me a perspective on the black/mixed-race experience but still offer something that I can personally relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment