Saturday, December 31, 2011

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

346 pgs/2011

A heartbreaking tale, Ruta Sepetys sets out to tell the stories of Lithuanians who were sent to the Artic Circle by Stalin. It's a peek into a little known aspect of history-I didn't really know anything about what had happened and I felt that the author's research paid off. She made this story really stick with you and come to life. The characters are rich and memorable-the man who winds his watch, the girl who talks to her dead doll, they're all very hautning. I think I would use haunting to describe this book as a whole. The only thing I had a complaint about was the ending-it was a bit too unrealistic and I wanted to know exactly what happened. But it's a fascinating historical read.

No comments:

Post a Comment