Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God" by Louise Rennison

243 pages

The end of "Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging" finds Georgia with a big problem: her parents have decided to drag the family to New Zealand (or, as she calls it, "Kiwi-a-go-go-land) for a month, just when she's finally snagged Robbie the Sex God! She can't bear to leave England just when things are starting to go well, as she's afraid the awful Lindsey will steal the SG back while she's gone. At the beginning of "On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God," Georgia successfully dodges the New Zealand bullet but loses Robbie anyway, as he insists that she's too young for him and breaks it off. Of course, Georgia can't let him go that easily, so she devises a plan: she'll use her entertaining admirer, Dave the Laugh, as a "red herring" to make the SG jealous. Of course, this only makes the situation more complicated. Meanwhile, Georgia is freaked out my her mum's continual flirting with a George-Clooney-looking doctor in her father's absence, and Angus is trying desperately to woo a pedigree cat from across the road.

If I were reading any other book with a teen character as self-centered and whiny as Georgia, I'd be totally annoyed and put the thing down. Rennison, however, makes it funny rather than bothersome. This second book in the "Confessions of Georia Nicolson" series cracked me up as much as the first. Instead of getting tired of the drama, I enjoyed it because there's always some wacky spin to it. Also, this book establishes a sort of love triangle that piques my interest, and my favorite characters--Libby and Angus--are just as goofy and hilarious as before. This is a quick, fun series that I will probably read through soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment