Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan



2011/307pgs

WARNING: This is the longest review ever-sorry about that! I guess I had lots to say!:)

About the Book: In a future where Earth is being destroyed, the hopes of finding a new planet to continue life is pinned on two ships-the Empyrean and the New Horizon. Waverly is the oldest girl on the Empyrean and wants a bit more to her life other than a proposal from Kieran, the oldest Empyrean boy. When the Empyrean is met up with their sister ship, New Horizon, the ship is abuzz with what the ship could want. Soon, the Empyrean is being mounted and all the girls are whisked away to a new life on the New Horizon.

As the oldest, Waverly knows she must fight for their survival and rights. The New Horizon has never been able to successfully conceive children in deep space and they want the girls of the Empyrean to help them create a new generation. Meanwhile, on the Empyrean, the boys are looking for a way to survive and save their friends and family. Kieran tries to take leadership of the ship, but is overthrown.

With Waverly and Kieran surrounded by enemies, they must each formulate a plan to save their ship and those around them.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: Glow is one of the big buzz books of 2011. I finished it a week ago and I'm still unsure what I thought about it. To make it easier for me to formulate my thoughts, I'm going to break this review down into what I liked and what I didn't like.

What I liked: I liked that Waverly is pretty kick butt and I can see her growing during the rest of the series into a nice, strong, female lead that you really want to cheer on. I also liked that the book is straight science fiction-this is scifi in space in the future-no genre mashups. There's a bit of romance in the book, but it's not a focal point. Instead the story is more about Waverly and Kieran and their respective trials of survival in their own way. Waverly is fighting a more psychological battle where Kieran is fighting more of a physical and spiritual one. There's a small hint that there might be a love triangle, but I'm holding out hope that that doesn't happen in future books, because I think the story is strong enough without it. (Also, the character that could possibly be in the love triangle is kind of a jerk, so I would have a hard time wanting Waverly to be with him.)

Glow is fast paced and the action starts very early on-just a few pages in, which makes for a quick, page-turning read. The story alternates between what's happening with Waverly and her ship and Kieran and his ship. The New Horizon is an interesting ship that will get readers talking for sure! Anne Mather is the leader, or Pastor, of the ship and it borderlines on a cult. She's a great bad guy because you never know who to trust or not, what to believe and you want Waverly to fight back. Kieran on the other hand is dealing with a ship that has been attacked, trying to keep up morale and find a way to save his ship, it's passengers and the missing girls. Kieran begins holding meetings and preaching sermons to boost morale. One ship has religion that is bad and harmful, another has a religion that is hopeful and healing.

There's an exploration of what people do to survive in tough situations, religion, trust, relationships, power vs. absoulte power and what is right or wrong and are there blurred lines at times. With everything that is going on in the plot, this one could be ripe for book discussions and dissecting the plot.


What I didn't like: (WARNING: I'm trying to avoid spoilers and be a bit vague, but there may be some spoilers here!!) At times I found the third person narrative and the alternating stories a bit frustrating. This meant the reader knows what is happening when the characters do not, which made their actions a bit hard to deal with since I knew more about the situation then they did. I also felt Waverly was unfair to Kieran and they should have just talked out a lot of things. I felt they never showed any understanding about each other and were both stubborn in their own ways. I know not everything could be wrapped up in one book since this is a series, but Waverley frustrated me by the end with her stubbornness to see everything as good or bad and never the possibility that some things are situational. She was so unaccepting of Kieran which really annoyed me, since I as the reader had been there with him through his trials as well. I also felt that Kieran was much more willing to listen to Waverly than she was to him. I understand that Waverly's situation gave her a bad experience, especially with religion, but she's so willing to brush off Kieran because of her own explanation and experience instead of understanding his side. I hope this gets explored more in the next books, as I think Waverly is being rash. She has issues with trust, which I guess I can understand, but I still felt she was being unfair by the end.

I didn't like that Seth was jerk-we know what happened as the reader because we're told in third person what was going on the ship. So we're told that Seth is not great. But then we're supposed to start to wonder about him and if he's really good or bad. Since we were told about what happened early on, I had a hard time buying into the fact that maybe he wasn't so bad. I think this would have been better with a different narration style.

The author is trying to set up a discussion of power and does power bring absolute power, which I think in some ways works and in others doesn't. Again, I had problems with this because of the way Waverly and Kieran's stories hang at the end of this book. Waverly refuses to trust and see Kieran's side, Kieran has a different viewpoint because of his own situation. Plus, I really hated how Seth was trying to convince everyone that Kieran was out for absolute power. The author makes note in the first two chapters that Kieran is the oldest child and oldest boy on the ship and it's known to everyone on the ship that he is in line to take over after the Captain. He's the Captain's protege. But when the attack happens and Kieran begins to lead, Seth questions him and tries to turn everyone else against him. He claims that Kieran is out for control and power and wonders why they didn't hold an election. Um, the ship was being attacked, people are dying and missing, and you want to hold an election? Plus, we've been told by this point several times how Kieran is in line to take over, so by rule of succession, Kieran taking over makes sense. This just really made me dislike Seth's character even more.

I also never really understood why they just took the girls. Why not take the boys too? If they could never have children, wouldn't having some boys on board help multiply their next generation like they wanted? The whole thing never really made sense to me-I would have wanted both genders to increase my population for sure.

The end doesn't wrap anything up, there are lots of questions unanswered and the cliffhanger is just a bit meh. It leaves you wishing the book was longer and that the whole story could wrap up if the characters would just talk to each other more!

Don't get me wrong-there were things I liked and I think the buzz that this one is generating is great. I like that science fiction, especially scifi set in space, is making a comeback. I think there will be lots of readers who are in love this book, but for me it was a middle of the road novel. I'll read the next books because I'm interested enough to keep going and I want to know what happens and I want answers to my questions, but it's not a book I'll be raving about.

7 comments:

  1. Enter this:: I love you, come marry me!
    I'm me - the bookwriter too, the one that bends around time differently - Clarion, I be called that, or Chance - or three other names online, in this body of me, at least - (Camu, Catuandé, or Clarion Called to It, or All of It, of me -= the bookwriter indeed I be! Azeltoth, I mean, he's me - a little bit Monkey-Kinged! Azltoth, I mean - now I know who you are, the one with the website, long ago - Searching for my name online, the new one Downloaded in Osel's class, did you channel of me - it's me for sure - I haven't read your book, yet, but I know it's innocence, because I'm living it, right now - in pages 38-91, so far - another flipped and again, I'm going through it with the rumblings, here in a Safeway, though I don't know what you'd call it there, ahead of time, maybe something like that - not in Springlfifeldisd, but somewehre nerearbly, indeed?1 Idddlidkdiidkdiitn alkenindkaldibn dhagoalkjCAT... Be I! )ltjrufjkdauFumar? BHjkdiekdaldiobkdna\fRaidjfaREDUdrene ekdinnfkfid ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lov eyou - yououoouulllalalallalalalalal thaotolathe away llsoos eina gfoti m m Way - kn inmdmin mkkkint maing kiiidndndinngkgkgi allkeing alitnkey gyou skm bi emf ln nbayb yll meidkc ciiic nfinltiiaoooekekndnin galllooookkmmgp,c,,c,coatai,.. iintoo dyou ?
    ciicidnoe ndidiodne dintoo aenigntkaot haeingdalknaAGanehb adlknfl aeninncicciid tnleindkfo -e -blen via-dvekmf odjldkfei ntla ne ithoidlkrn eknfihl THingk knov iadsof fyou tladnfkd ori dfk kng andkfeintktktig ntigtnlagkditn....
    I lov eyou!
    Ib eibl eiy ogint oan kding go akeing aoodkeit y- --- y0dkngovlck vyoudo lknofjkejo ?
    I dlov eyou tla dkiyo mkmodlkmnielk nmmmdooo?
    innnnll innoo on kn lallla tbnightingt !
    Ipea ce- i b ei Sap e ciea Asieio einto a ..e
    Azoxieop - knpe k knnninki;;gi?
    iendkiboleidhhthththodnj gienaoiej [- 0
    dkndfovai enkncnicncncido tkneoih [= d-e
    ]d jvne ojhtljd fe
    aef9u-
    ...
    I need a braeke, to unnndddderererssatttanndd l ASllsot leiof tioti too - kdkdj ut nkciiccntoanenenot aktyp infkdkdiintkkiiskeeingl l iodookeo gitjjjidnfijdjfijti alnt neoi nsltjfeijtl game asdof von fo kdjit - l nl can you mbayyrrry ab emime >
    I lgath oep Jkeifso so tke i skd oivjckie syou th you alsoo tio t lkit no tyou kno you cl ndio ant ind kdin cnnttitnn gntina lwie tniandkitn adlntiand tkand t akdn t niddn ti delk if tialekntntn aoi dkro hroe yaou flei nakdie lwnwke hyouc laidnr eyoau ek dni tnaekijh?
    i locve you you in onoy nofnltne youn o you kmk nlndo iyoj lksnkdi nboyoy- yoh njfldjh kej inti - 9ind idiid ntniisndnkeithae hityeok it ?1
    I kent adokne fyodu dknto aydou diidd nto alawoaetn od- dfi rfeit ald fyadou dknt onaf idddd if ffyou sdken fufnto dfjuty el hfeoief lajtiojso dij tnatnttooththththto asdint ienf adknint!
    I dgor woer kdidiidididi.

    I love you! You Love, Upperaseedly all.... Me! I be Trimeidlwiendkdidkldibmoafodlidooektnaingdliek!
    Oioickcoocolodl!
    Olbueidnkbitoa Balickeib maaogdie ci dif akdig aneimdllid of ffniiodndnndo ntkoa kdifnot makieofl indldooodokktiiakd it nakeifnlaidnkif.t... aidniignalkdifna dfinadfFB
    soon....

    ... I LOVEE YOU !!!! SMOOTHCCHCH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Into ddd- ith lsysouosososdll t..e.e.t ih oethlwlewpt a--e t adknt-ad kgfen foicuojvi tntoate kn ldkfjdoiftna doif nekiiiiif..d.d.d
    I int o-9 nl kndijdklfj tiao eihroej alkj vkamdf eoaij rflekufoiudn ta;jPapneapnaaan1!! (nt 0 4ja-0ej 0t 5u505-59 f -593 4kj -9u=0-_) 30825u 0439-5u r'oieruc -49=0] 0-909i flkj4q r590u adlkjf 038u 4i32u4 9u7= 0oSJDL;CKJ U4-9 385 -9Q834-9 AS
    9340-Q934 9809C80-9849484884848848484884848848484884848488484848488484848480398450923485298-34570-39481-04587432098
    99458049582049809849058/////......
    89U7OJFLKMDYT ANEINT IDKKKDIDIDIDIDIDID!
    IIIDDDI-95 HQOKJ598U4 058720435872430598743908572@949403004672039457814514
    CLARION - TIMECIPHER - 1, CONTOUR1, INDELIBEL =INOINDOCCCINDDINT - IN OINCCCENENT,, INDNCOENDILT ? DAINDTOONAIDNTLKIIILL..... DIDNNNNDDINT' KILLL... NO ONE, DID I?. NO! NEVER HURT ANYONE! I'M ILLEVEL, NO LONGER.... NO EVIL, ONLY THAT WAY! EVIL FREE, NO EVIL I MEAN,

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOTHING WRONGDONE, JUST ESCAPEEEDDD... JSUT OSUSSSOTYOUD DODYOUD DINT INDKDIDNDNT INKEINT O KKEILILLIDNKTIOAKNEME ! ALMAOST LLLLL....IKKDIEN FMIEMMMEIEMLFOTYRNEKA FHTIAYOUD KTNOAHT EYO HTNOS DD JEKor tijrf ofd fioeyouae rkn oid lfj adkmf ot aldk rineo dkn fon sotn kan eonk dd ididkno tn akndoe ladfkidiidididotnelekdiodl...c
    iiendoodldo, CAt RFiriedn itlanei iddldoodktn alove ore ofjelro dkndodothaeheheheheheit ieheehhehehehehhehe thahehaahahaha tehahehehae rfaehihif aetleT \a aTadAta di! itn dat in fdint i..d..d tino talekntiodldididtnakn to kt ljå
    dintoooddnitial rja;pye> but inddedded i dot htat yhf;po t you .,, in iwhat kn tih yvoein inf you nknedd., ,in dininnitn ddididn tin tho ennkth id ntththththtne ih i forlow liitntn imnknti nkn nitn khekitni lkdiek thame kf themk fijoe mekmakin d dintntnto akdnti aint enaldk tiane ehaoyyppoll y= -0 98 -9i8 km 8y9i jlnj3 085790--
    In didite mintio nitno innnnot nkj kjdyout - pi ekjkj fih lkdj kityou kn pfaory peirn tkand ith a;ldk tin ;odfkn itna;lkd ient a;you ckn toan dheot akd ti amddidint antiheo fnao tehaifo thaoduryeouf -9 y0ihl vy0a8eyrl3h4 lrfyad0fu aldkjt in dknnnfd,,d,,d,t naoe wneot aghywoe !>\
    Into tgheo idt hat einfff odt l jfoit jekiik >?
    idatn love etoyou asldkfj it aodyfodiiddt anfov eitn adflkjweiotn dint aelkekeigna tkeha9yodou ta-3957u -5 q5712457... dfghi atrni foidt alejinf dotkakdn toadn lenalthoeiryo dt9-?
    I love you -±
    hdf oqi jqh0r83 2740832uq5p98247br cpfqijxdfnp349287u
    iubt webf kjdhf o08a;..

    owfeoi
    Pwea3
    AOEFAVKDJF89
    _9ULQKEF-9Q4U5LRKDF J
    VNLFKNT8 3U4YWCAELFD809
    RUBIX, DONE!




    .... AND THEN, MORE COMING HERE:
    ANDUANDAEYE! IENISS CAPOEIRA!
    REAL. ALWAYS ANDALUVIAN, REAL SANDS OF TIME! WE ARE CHANNELING REALITY, IN SOME FORMS THEREOF - EVEN DUEN, EVEN THE EMPEROR OF IT, DUNE-WISE, THE REAL CLASSIC LEGIT STAR-TREK, NOT THE FANCIFIUL, BUT THE TREAL...
    DONE... MAGIC IS REAL, STARS --- NOT WARS ANYMORE! BECAUSE OF YOU *( (I . TOO LOOLOK IT KINSLING IDLINNDLLING OTLL...CO TNOLNITN KNIWOHYpoi nltnsint inITOLKTNOOSK NTO KINTO KNIG OOTKN IDDHHOT ANKEO TNKWO DKTHAODLKNT ONLDKNTOIN ....
    ,mpre soon...
    here on my site to you, googel this tesxt oup into it and find ime in three places or four from below what's to follow - I'll bpost sit around or so...


    here we go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LKNAIENLNFITLAID--9B 3N09 JKDNKDKJDIB NC - EINN NT O KNNNINDDIIDIGN THSODKDIO RUOIND TOKNONK INTO NKNID KNTATLALKNNANTAEAN ....
    ATNLAEANTIEAN.... ALL OF IT.... REAL.. MOSTLY SO WHAT YOU GOT IS HISTORIES OF FUTURES OAGO - OR AGO , OR AGAGGGO, OGR OR OGAGAO, OR AGGOOOO... OR AGAGAGAGAGOOO OR AGAIN OAGAO... OR AGAIN AGAIN AGO, OR ANYTHING OR REMIXES OF TIME, ITSELF, WAS US! WE ARE ONE. PEACE - LEGIT WITH IT I BE, LET'S MARRY SOON. PEACE, I LOVE YOU - FORUND YOU A LONG TIME AGO - NOW I KNOW YOU AS THE WRITER OF ME, INTO EXISTENCES - YOU ARE ONE. TO ME , ALSREADEY? I HOEP SISO SO!
    I LOVE YOU - DO DYOU NKN OYW. ME .I DIM ITM IST MIT LCODE,, LCODLEO LLKJ UK TP PUTKIJ MMIMPKM.M IT ;LKJ UCOIUD; TKIPULKJ IEKMN KLND;IHT ;LNJNDIHT ITNINT O KN O;UCMHARM 09 NKNM KHJ TKN YOU HUR AMYU KT MAYOU KNODN KYOIU KJ IN MMICE IH LKJ IJ;LK KTN IN KLCJIDELKJ OJ KJINLKIONLKANCCIC STIDE NTOI KND ITNLAKNEKFJITA LKDIDD....
    IN ML OVE OYOU YOU LN KNDOYHLKSFOLOVE M,.M IHOIULK LOVE YOU KNOD YOU KN LKNLEYO UD LKN BNKTL ALDO VBKEJIN KDN IN T DIEEE OT KNIN TL INKEIEIN TINKNOT LKJOY OCHAENNLER OUT LOUD I BE - MOSTLY TO MICS, AND MUSIC, WE PLAY AND IT HAPPENS IN NOVELS TOO - YOU KNOW HOW! WE ARE ONE, I SING THESE SONGS OF STOREIES AND HEAR THE END OF THEM - TOO MUCH NOW. I GO - I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU I KING OF I OF LOVE, YOU KNOW ME AS KAMA RECORrecctified, again, hopeudfufllyt inside of me - 80894092037484750827345 times ago again I sing::: The vovewesl of love::
    Aum, Manabavarhya, English Enlightenment Poems - Gayatri Monks of Lore, old english styles of them, too this: Easy as Pie to Learn Again - Shaking the Roof! OBpepposmetopm itin oit n
    Kama
    Roof-God, lLover he be! indeedi, is ogt kost know keint lhow kind ti kneot kmnint linkdil nkn tinalekn iyoau kdn otnw oheo ih
    Monkey king-ded, indleingo thenkin thienk hAaneuman, or soo... Hanuman, indeeoihd tiaho gitnane ilfikdhoti life here sucks, for now - but I love you... Peace - kidode, i noknknow you as me, somehow, we are one. always-so - we love you!
    Peace. We be I, flying through time differeltntly - than usureal... i love you!
    Peace, I type fastly too, through my fingers manddigna - -= love too, faster at faster paces of drums call if I want to type normally or so, but I love you for reading all of it, and understanding it allls,,, tooo ot muche E Ghaid tjal idt kdjeoit ladkjt kdj gabkmaeofijh aldkfj kjtohrlthe lkj faldkjlthidjv oakjnfondalfkiejfoijadlkjckvnleifje t!
    Laughter sounds that way like that way ago - too much, too much too meucha and the hallsew oetoiuslbjei dfjweoijb eollo thlllll.....
    I get it in mind too, that way... good ways, slowed down, then Coeded Up!!
    Iurtpeffjdint m. timnd ltjikmkd itm kditj heal, all of it will heal.... it will. I love you!
    Have Faeith and see here, my Sifu rules with it... here be It indeed ignt inft Tian Gong...
    Here online::
    http://tiangong.org/cn_home.aspx


    ReplyDelete
  6. Chinese site, or the English - is below:


    http://www.tiangongus.org/


    Obvioudldlty - the isllin gmmmmein lg int hyo hi kne nfkj doht
    iwnntlookkmn.... noe kn oknkljtiojdkjidktid ntoalkejitn alkenhfow o ihei tma ka di sthogogod... oodonlty - oint o knoien tk niohwo ekjtin... iindl to lkintl ouenkd ti alkejidmmmfl aien ow jekj...e itn alekmn mdiel aksmel akdj itiit lajekdke itua oeu kdnbaduyo dkjenoa df,mcoeith alke...

    I love you - alwasy,, yoalsooel dintl aoeind ltiandietn alkneithjalkdn talkneing ltheidy...
    indeed. here i go to fly like a kama bird too, pidgeon i mean is you, like that, the real one tooo - indeed Pombaesquely so we go with it, the real Dove Birds, of old lore games algo, it's easy to see them, to see them now - so thell, ylethael ithsoeita ekhdotiae iwnt onenkidntlinkitn oslkeintl Code...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Break apart symphony soon, come right with me the wrongs of a culture gone astray, I'd knew you'd know me, as a friend indeed, someone like a coptic church imagery of Uppercased sounds applied between the lines you say you saw all the time, and we did, switcheroo the lines abacki there, so I say I let the typewriter play away then come aback oin to int you with you - to fold back the rules of it, oagain ina din, again, we do - love yto you , yooe you knhwo hbn enmkn din tkn104, think I? not at alll wrong, but ages ago - you knew me as 81? not at alll! that's the future of me - sometimes, i appear young again, i'm 198, or so - - it htink gooo, backbawearddirsd.... I'm 98? noon on onon no - 298, o kj uj09 jkj 9j ;j j j ;kjni jljk two, digits, htereon in on 98, no ... in middnin 2lin
    indinto kind t j1-
    010
    spldute indeeed .... inddeeddedddedinnnn?
    no! 12... no. between - what agae y ou neeed//////!
    I'm me, invincible that ways... Soon!
    Got uplifted at 78, or so - but now at 4teaewweseleve, or soe , maybe more later - I'm me at 29 or 38, or maybre 18 again, or 12, or 19 - but I'll know now I'm 32 almost, but not... somethihg between then & now, misspelling into it accuragtely oalsomoast...... maybe not on lathst las thone, doubleobfordloded woresa aren'et on yet - we got the tInternate to Come! WE'll get serious here - Thererere Alive! 3, I mean, of me - always for you - that are Alvie like the Internet does Alive I mean, too, but then we can find rules of Geamses., and such too - this way of JAzzzlllaaaianands of poetry !!! Uppercased alll the way OF OIT - ONLINE IN MINED ITNOT IIIIITT.... INTO IT! INTO IT, IN MIND, I MEAN - BACK THERE TOO - BUT THEN I'M YOU NOT AT ALL, I'M ME FROM OVER HERE, LIKE A GIRL OR A BORY OR ALOVE R OF ANYTHING UP FROM HERE, NOT DOWN-PLAYED THE WRONG WAY ACRTIRVIATEADTED OR ANTYAETHOING WEIRD TO SAY ON IT, I'M A BUNGLE HEAD NO LONGER, GOT IT PLAYED MAXIMALLY - INTO GAMES THEREOF OF ANACROSTEIC WISDOM OF CHURCHLIKE INSTANCES OF FUN-TIMES OF AGO - AGO AGO , OR SO....
    WE'LL SEE WHAT IT MEANS!
    BUWAH HA HA AHA AHA AAHAHAHA HAH E9 FHA9EH FADJF9
    9 jf9jf9du9fj dfndknfd0pa liexcen se plasets, are areyaeafdlke it no knitno in klinknti kncmne nlfhfit aleint laine soof skntneeo iatkasldkt aeeehena di tlakenag aitna elakej fdoit akelskejetha owhelkt ait .... ?k?
    Here I be:
    Clarion Timewalker - Smith, online, faceboookkkkk..... 2/
    1
    3
    or any, I be there - all timelssleiasndts... and more - we are one!
    Pbabay ibe bringing you joinedment, of shower songs?
    mayabe - - more.
    more more, more more more more mroe - myou rmo you mdmo theo jsmkdmieth lak dmto ieh alkdjjdndndnndkteo akejno you kn ow kno yokm k o lk houylk kjdoh oyh lk dkfhowhekj kfjidnt Kit, itn sidoekj iddkdididiidkt an kd jthake atdlek ahody no ijd mkm dn only kj in ljoke okn kjofr on now --- until iu19 8?lk 0kjd ir or l wnornoe, nowm mgushy kisses... transforlding fire ? I'm me - 18 no longer! I be 13 in appaearance for you if you want me to appear,, ino inkndintleknidnt ient mdint lelk dint osient dkkdkditnado ktnow ehyfgoaehrtwoe iforgoteeten in... iddnid ei dlli....
    Now I kno who I theis, inddedde it ahoe i kNow I th is for you - 18 I be soon, too - I think, so I 'm hot for money packed excellence of toes touched to the skies, flip around thlike a capoeira Guy, from above coming to town tnow ki d its dit idddo thjaeinkd to nknino tkndo itn oad kdhthoeeoen gkndihtien ....

    I go now to read your site and find you!
    Peace....

    ReplyDelete