Friday, May 27, 2011

"Dangerously Alice" by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

294 pages

In this 19th book of the Alice series, our young heroine is 16 and a junior in high school. She's tired of everyone thinking she's a goody two-shoes, so she decides that it's time to start rebelling a little. As she sneaks out at night, rides a motorcycle, and dates a senior who's more "fast" than she is, she discovers that there's more to being bad-to-the-bone that she thought. First things begin to get tense at home with her dad and stepmom, Sylvia, and then Alice finds herself taking more and more dangerous risks.

I thought that this was one of the funniest Alice books I've read so far. Alice's older brother, Lester (who was already one of my favorite characters), is especially charming and funny. I like the way that Naylor gets her points across in her books--and they're good points--without being too preachy. My only complaint is that at parts the dialogue is a little too "squeaky clean" and a bit outdated. Other than that, I think this is a fun, light-hearted book that's good for reading when you want to remember your own adolescence.

No comments:

Post a Comment