Monday, May 23, 2011

Akata Witch

by Nnedi Okorafor, 349p.

Sunny doesn't quite fit into her Nigerian community.  It doesn't help that she's American-born, or that she's albino but there's something else different about her... which her new friends help to coax out of her.

Sunny learns that she is in fact a witch of the Leopard People, along with her new friends who help her along way.  But while Sunny is just learning what is means to be a witch, she and her friends must stop a serial killer targeting kids on their way home from the local school.

While it took me a while to get used to Nnedi Okorafor's writing style, I really grew to love this book.  I especially enjoyed how she was able to convey the cultural tensions between black Americans and Nigerians.  I feel like that was a touch that makes Akata Witch transcend the "strictly teen fiction" and offers lessons of understanding (and awesome female role models) to readers of all ages.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it. I think you'll enjoy her novel "Who Fears Death" all the more. It's similar to this one but a bit more "grown up."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Aleah.

    ReplyDelete