Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mockingjay


Suzanne Collins

370 pages


SPOILER ALERT for those who want to know NOTHING plotwise in this installment.


Katniss has survived another Hunger Games since she was rescued and taken to District 13 but Peeta was taken to the Capitol. The heads of the rebellion including President Coin (of District 13) want Katniss to be their symbol as the Mockingjay. She is rejoined with her mother, sister, and Gale since District 12 was destroyed by the Capitol. She is very confused about many things on just about every level from her feelings about Peeta and Gale to if the Rebellion is really an answer to the problems the districts feel. She feels out of place in the highly militarized District 13 and wants to do something, she agrees to be the Mockingjay but with several conditions. Will they be able to bring down the Capitol?


This was a bit of a letdown after reading the first two books in the series. I felt like Suzanne Collins was grasping at straws a bit plotwise. It was very disjointed and lacked the flow that seemed so natural in the other books. I did not like how Katniss spent most of her time doing nothing. There is a definite lack of Peeta which I don't care for either and when he does come back he is crazy. There is too much self reflection and not enough actual action. When things do start happening I found it confusing. The end is a bit vague and abrupt. The deaths that occur I found pointless and frustrating. There is a short epilogue but it didn't answer many qustions. I don't know what happened to many of my favorite characters. The questions that were answered were more like notes instead of a full fledged concept that had been thoroughly thought out. I don't know if the author was rushed to finish the story but it was even a different tone from the others. Not my favorite but not completely horrible either. I recommend it only to know what happens not on writing merits.


*NPR Best Book 2010

3 comments:

  1. I think a lot of us felt the same way about the series. In book three, there's too much Katniss-depressed-medicated-and-inactive-in-a-closet, not enough Peeta, and far too much senseless death just to drive home a point about war being horrible no matter which side you're on. Despite all that, the series is intriguing and original and the characters memorable. I'd just like to rewrite the last installment. I'm hoping the move to the silver screen gets us out of Katniss's head and more into what's actually going on around her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book, but it did have a lot of problems. I hope they flesh things out a bit more in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My review is a little harsh but I was sad the book was so blah. I also hope the movie version will give us a more well rounded picture.

    ReplyDelete