Friday, April 8, 2011

"Ender's Game: Battle School" by Orson Scott Card

120 pages

This graphic novel depicts the first part of Card's classic sci-fi novel "Ender's Game" (the first third or so, if I remember the book correctly). It's sometime in the future and Earth has already narrowly triumphed over an invading alien race, known commonly as "buggers." Six-year-old Ender Wiggin is taken to the elite Battle School after the government observes his intelligence and brilliant strategy through an implanted device that all children wear until their skills are assessed. At the School, he and many other young children undergo intense military training, but the authorities have put all of their hope in Ender alone to save the human race from the inevitable return of the buggers. First, though, Ender has to fight his own inner demons.

I loved the book version of "Ender's Game," I think that they've done a great job with the graphic novel. A lot of the details of the book are cut out, but the essentials are there and it seems to flow well. It's translates well visually and I loved seeing all of the battles come to life. For me, the bottom line is that "Ender's Game" is a great story about the human race and the lengths we will go to in order to protect ourselves from real and perceived threats, and I'll probably enjoy it in whatever format I find it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment