Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Pet for Petunia by Paul Schmid

2011/40 pgs

About the Book: Petunia wants a pet-but not your typical pet. Petunia wants a skunk-they're just so cute! But her mean parents say no! So Petunia sets off to find herself her pet skunk and has an unfortunate meeting!

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: Oh Petunia, how I can relate. I wanted a monkey for a pet, but my parents always said no-how mean! Any child who has longed for a pet, unconventional or otherwise, will relate to Petunia's plight. She begs her parents for a pet skunk, she promises to feed it, and gushes over how cute they are. But Petunia is in for a surprise. Readers of course, know that skunks are stinky and that it's not the kind of pet Petunia would want, which makes the book that much more fun-kids are in on the joke from the start. Petunia's voice is perfect-when she gets mad at her parents, she decides to storm off and mutters how mean they are which is sure to have kids are parents laughing.

The artwork is all black and purple, which reminds me a bit of the Olivia books, with it's simplistic color palate. I think Olivia fans would get a kick out of Petunia-Olivia and Petunia remind me a lot of each other. I would even try A Pet for Petunia is a preschool storytime-it could be a great read aloud. A fun addition to "I want a pet" picture books!

No comments:

Post a Comment