Monday, March 7, 2011

The Death of Sweet Mister


By: Daniel Woodrell, 196 pp

Wow! It is very difficult for me to describe this novel...It is very dark & harsh.
Daniel Woodrell again has this novel set in the Ozarks. He has no boundaries whatsoever. Meaning, it might be a bit offensive to some.
I do not suggest letting a kid or even a teen read this; even though it is in the point of view of a thirteen year old boy named Morris (Shuggie) Akins. Shuggie is also Glenda's Sweet Mister.
Shuggie lives with his mother, Glenda, and (when he is home) his father, Red, in a house in the middle of a cemetery that they take care of in order to live there rent free.
Drugs, alcohol, and abuse is practically all Shuggie knows. He has a strange obsession for his mother that at times is described in very disgusting details.
It is hard for me to say whether or not I liked this book. However, I could not put it down for wanting to find out the ending. Yet I found myself wanting to take the book back to the library before I had completely finished it because of some of the offensive writing.
The death of Sweet Mister may be quite different than you think. I will not say in case you want to read this book for yourself. I don't want to give it away.

1 comment:

  1. After reading your description, I am dying to read this. I love super edgy, pushing-the-envelope type of fiction. I'll let you know what I thought when I finish it!

    ReplyDelete