Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Room" by Emma Donoghue

321 pages

The point-of-view is what makes this book stand out; the story is told from the perspective of a five-year-old named Jack who has lived his entire life in an 11 x 11 foot room. His mother was kidnapped before he was born and has been held in captivity since then. I think the author does a great job of portraying Jack and creating his world. The situation is bizarre and a little improbable, but Jack and Ma's thoughts and feelings seem realistic to me and I really connected with them. There's plenty of action and suspense--a couple of times my heart was literally pounding. The plot has several unexpected twists that kept me hooked throughout the entire story. Overall, a very interesting book that's going to stick with me for quite a while.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this one now and I really like it! It's such a unique story and I like that it's told from Jack's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The point of view is so interesting and I think it's pretty realistic. I feel like it must have been tiring to write an entire novel from a five-year-old's perspective!

    ReplyDelete