Saturday, January 22, 2011

Winter's Bone - A Novel


By: Daniel Woodrell, 208 pp
Yes, it is a movie too...
But you just have to read the book! There are scenes in the book that do not make it to the movie. Oh watching the movie is great too though!
Daniel Woodrell has given us a picture of a poverty stricken family that is being held together by a 16 year old girl, Ree Dolly. Ree's father is known as the best meth manufacturer there is in the Ozark hills. Yet, Ree cannot seem to locate him any where. She needs to find him because if he skips out on his next court date, the Dolly's will lose their home. She cannot let this happen for if it does, the family will have to "live with the dogs in the woods."
This book is hard to put down; it is a quick read. We are having a book discussion on Winter's Bone February 12th at the Strafford branch! Come join us!

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure if I liked this book until I'd finished it, at which point I decided that, although it's raw and unvarnished, it's also powerful and a must-read. I haven't seen the movie yet, but totally mean to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adored this book. And, Kim, using the blog to promote a book discussion... well played. ;)

    (This is me being jealous that I didn't think of that.)

    ReplyDelete