Thursday, January 20, 2011

Janis Joplin: rise up singing by Ann Angel



I have to admit to being terribly curious about how someone could package Janis Joplin for teens in a way that is accurate, appropriate, and most importantly interesting. Overall, I think Ann Angel did a fairly good job at fitting this bill. I did not know much about Janis Joplin the person but I feel like I walked away with an accurate, if cursory, knowledge that didn't shy away from the less savory bits. The author was very up front about Janis' embrace of the sex, drugs, and rock n' roll lifestyle without turning her life into a PSA or after-school special.

Color photographs adorn almost every spread and the book design is one of my favorites I have ever seen! But make no bones about it this book is geared towards older teens. I'll even let you in on a secret, but only if you promise not to tell. Included amongst the pictures of Janis is one with her exposed right breast. And if you look at the cover closely...well I'll leave you to it.

I do wish that there had been some more concrete examples of the lasting influence Janis has had on our contemporary music world, especially women's role in it. But, what really would have put this over the top for me would have been the inclusion of an accompanying track with musical selections, because talking about Janis' vocal power is certainly not the same as hearing it for yourself which I doubt many young adult readers have (I realize that this may not have been a possibility). But I for one downloaded a copy of Me and Bobby McGee halfway through reading. 120p.

No comments:

Post a Comment