Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Fat Cat" by Robin Brande


The premise: In order to take the top prize in her high school science fair and decimate her rival (and former childhood crush) Matt McKinney, overweight over-achiever Catherine "Cat" Locke decides to become her own experiment and live like a cave girl - meaning no modern technology or conveniences and no processed foods. As the pounds drop off, Cat begins navigating the difficult waters of having a new body and a new mindset. However, horrible things Matt said about her in 7th grade still haunt her. Will she be able to forgive him, move forward with her life AND win the science fair?

My take: This was a quick, enjoyable read with believable characters (albeit not always believable plot points) and has excellent subtle commentary on the modern day American diet without being overly preachy.

If you've ever truly struggled with obesity, especially in your teen years, you may see a lot of yourself in Catherine "Cat" Locke. I suspect Brande dealt with her own weight issues as a teen because she seems to write from a perspective of very personal experience. Cat's internal dialogue is often pessimistic and self-defeating but always raw and honest.

As Cat's shape begins to change, it takes her awhile to see those changes herself, accept them and have confidence in her skills and abilities as a burgeoning young adult. She undergoes a great deal of challenges throughout her transformation - specificaly learning the ups and downs of dating - but most importantly she learns to forgive as she discovers her longstanding issues with Matt McKinney are actually rooted more deeply in issues she has with herself.

By making healthy, intelligent and thoughtful decisions throughout the entire story, Cat makes an excellent role model for young adult readers.

I don't foresee it winning the Gateway but it was definitely worthy of the nomination.

Favorite passage from the book: "It's not that I'm hideous, but I'm also not stupid. I know how people see me. I might spend an hour every day straightening my hair and getting my makeup just right and picking out clothes that camouflage at least some of my rolls, but the truth is I'm still fat and everyone knows it. When I wake up in the morning it's like I'm wearing this giant fat suit, and if only I could find the zipper I could step out of it and finally go start living my real life."

No comments:

Post a Comment