Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dog On It

A Chet and Bernie Mystery by Spencer Quinn, 305 pages

I found this mystery on the ALA Reading list for 2010. Since I like dog books and mysteries, I listened to this on audio.

The premise: Bernie is the human in this duo, a private investigator whose life has generally hit the skids. The one thing he has going for him is the devotion of his dog, Chet, a K9 school dropout. Together they investigate the disappearance of a local teen.

Why I liked it: Since Chet is the narrator, it has a lot of dog-related humor. Even though he loves his human, Chet can see Bernie's foibles. Chet's take on human behavior is funny, and warm-hearted.

Bottom line: I generally liked the book, though the mystery was a bit weak. Sometimes the author got into Chet's doggie ADHD personality a bit too much. Overall it was a likeable book, but you definitely have to be a dog lover or someone who likes a lot of humor in their mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment