Wednesday, January 19, 2011

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
Cassandra Clare
485 pages
I had seen this book around but the cover made me think it would be cheesy and I put off reading it. One of my friends read it said it was great and gave me a copy. I had some reservations but in the end I did really like City of Bones. The book follows Clary Fray as she learns some secrets that are kept from most of the world. She can see people that others like her friend Simon can't. One of these people is Jace who makes a habit of popping up in unexpected places. Clary's life is thrown into chaos when her mother makes a frightening call and is abducted. Clary is then attacked by a strange creature but is saved when Jace shows up. Clary, Jace, Simon, and a few others learn that the disappearance of her mother is only part of a much larger story. The story meanders a bit throwing in action bits where we would rather just know what is going on but the reader is left satisfied and wanting more. I know it won't be long until I read the next book.

An American Library Association Teens Top Ten Award Winner, 2008

1 comment:

  1. I really need to read this. I'm just so burnt out on paranormal I keep putting it off. But I keep hearing good things and the teens go crazy for this series! It also has a lot of adult crossover. I have a copy sitting in my massive TBR pile, maybe this year I'll get to it!

    ReplyDelete