Friday, January 21, 2011

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

book jacket 
I loved this book.  I turned the last page as though I was tasting the last bite of the most perfect meal I've ever eaten. You know how it is-the food is delicious and you could go on eating it forever but you know you can't because you wouldn't love it as much unless you knew what it was like to miss it when it was gone.  Okay, I'm waxing poetic. But this was a really good story.  Well-paced, beautifully structured and carrying a sense of magical realism, sadness, a hint of mystery and a pretty deep understanding of the human condition.  This writer is probably very good at sitting quietly and just observing, listening and soaking people up.  Otherwise, how could she understand so much?

If you only read the Wall Street Journal, then DO NOT read this book.  It will be wasted on you.

292 pp

No comments:

Post a Comment