Saturday, January 15, 2011

Other Goose by J. Otto Seibold

2010/69 pages

About the Book: Mother Goose was a human, so what does she know about geese? And she wrote her rhymes so long ago, what good are they now? So Other Goose (who is really an actual goose) is taking Mother Goose's rhymes and re-rhyming them to give them an updated spin. It's Mother Goose like you've never seen before!

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: I'm a big fan of J. Otto Seibold's Olive, the Other Reindeer, so I knew I had to get my hands on this one!

The artwork is typical Seibold-quirky cuttouts that almost look like mosaics with odd characters and places. The pictures are bright and colorful and fun to look at.

The rhymes on the other hand were a little lacking. I think I was hoping for something more along the lines of Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith's Squids Will Be Squids and The Stinky Cheese Man. Some of the rhymes are cute, but not all that modernized or funny. The only one I really liked was "Blah, Blah, Blacksheep" which did make me laugh. The other rhymes were quirky and silly (which I expected) but I really thought I'd laugh more with this book.

The art is worth a look and the book is packaged beautifully. I just wanted a bit more to make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment