Monday, January 10, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

"I frantically racked my brain for some sort of throat-repairing spell, which I was clearly about to need. Of course the only words I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, "BAD DOG!"

Sophie Mercer came into her powers as a witch when she was 13.  Only problem is her mom is a complete muggle and her dad, the warlock of the family, isn’t around to provide any training. After one too many well-intentioned magical experiments goes amuck Sophie, now 16,  is sent to Hex Hall, a boarding school for wayward magical folk. It doesn’t take long before Sophie is caught up in magical mysteries, teenage angst and a touch of romance…with the most popular girl’s boyfriend…of course.

What kept me reading all night until I’d finished was the snarky, sassy and intelligent banter of our main character Sophie.  The pacing is fast and while you get to know Sophie’s inner thoughts it is the plot that drives the novel.  Secondary characters are interesting but not overly developed and the romance elements add a splash of interest without being over the top.   2010, 323 pages.

2 comments:

  1. Another of my top 2010 reads! I think I booktalked this one as "if Samantha from Bewitched and Harry Potter had a chick lit baby with a dash of Nancy Drew and a smidge of A Great And Terrible Beauty"

    P.S. I've got an ARC of the sequel if you want to borrow it!:)

    ReplyDelete