Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

1995/304 pgs.

About the Book: Jody is a young single woman living in San Francisco. As she's heading home one night, she's attacked by a vampire and discovers she's been turned into one as well. Since she can no longer go out in the daytime, she decides to hire an assistant. Enter C. Thomas Flood, a young aspiring writer fresh off the bus from Indiana. He accepts Jody's job offer (and finds himself with a growing attraction to his new boss). But a mysterious string of murders is following Tommy and Jody around and someone is making it look like they're to blame. With the help of Tommy's grocery story night shift co-workers and a mysterious man known as "the Emperor" Jody and Tommy work to solve the mystery before they get framed.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: I picked this one up thanks to my upcoming adult lit class this semester. This novel counted as one of my "horror" picks and since that's a genre I tend to shy away from, I figured I could use something that had horror aspects, but still had some humor.

I've never read any Christopher Moore's books, even though I've been told to by several co-workers, and I have to admit I should have listened to them earlier. There were many laugh out loud moments in Bloodsucking Fiends and I was thoroughly engrossed in the story. Even though the thought of another vampire novel makes me roll my eyes, this one had a bit of everything so it kept me entertained. There's mystery, humor, romance, horror, satire-I think fans who typically read outside of any of those genres could easily pick Bloodsucking Fiends up and find something they enjoy about it. It made me want to pick up the two follow up books as well.

I listened to it on audio and I really enjoyed the narrator who gave a multiple voice performance. The humor came through on audio and it worked well in this format. I listened to it on a car ride with my husband and we both enjoyed it (which isn't always easy with us!) so I think it has a wide appeal.

The only issue I noticed was that while contemporary, there were a few minor things that dated the book. Tommy carries around a typewriter to write his novel one, Jody uses a payphone to call for help and calls collect, and Tommy's family is worried he's a communist. It really made me notice how simple things can date a novel very quickly, although these things can be easily overlooked.

1 comment:

  1. The only one of his I've read is The Stupidest Angel, which involves a Christmas zombie invasion. It had me in disturbed stitches. :P Thanks for reminding me he's out there!

    ReplyDelete