Monday, January 10, 2011

Graceling

by Kristin Cashore, 471 pages

Katsa has been the court torturer and assassin for her uncle, King Randa, since she was a child.  The same killing grace that turned her into a powerful tool leaves her isolated even from those she considers friends.  Until one night on an undercover mission, she runs into unknown graced fighter in a dark courtyard.  Prince Po has been searching for his kidnapped grandfather.  The trail leads eventually to Katsa, who might be the one person he can trust with a dangerous secret.  These two must learn to trust each other and work together for another with a grace even more horrible than Katsa's threatens their world.

This is one of the 2010-2011 Gateway Nominees, so I expected it to be good.  I loved that the story moves quickly in the beginning.  The characters were compelling, and I was invested in the story right from the start.  There were a few slow spots in the middle of the book, and the major threats were resolved pretty abruptly.  Even with those drawbacks, I recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy or adventure stories with a bit of a non-traditional romance.

3 comments:

  1. I read Graceling last year and I liked it very much. Katsa is a great protagonist, flawed but powerful in her own right. I found the setting to be intriguing, and I was glad to hear Cashore is planning another book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this book-and I'm not a big high fantasy reader at all. I listened to it on audio a couple years ago and loved the full cast version. The story is great and the romance is wonderful. I tried to read Fire, the prequel, but just couldn't get into it. She's writing a sequel to this one that takes place several years later and I'm eager for that one to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already wanted to read "Graceling," and after hearing all of this I am really excited!

    ReplyDelete