Sunday, January 9, 2011

Animals Make Us Human

342p.

There has been a flurry of media around Temple Grandin in recent months - since the release of an HBO docudrama about her life.  She is equally well known for her research and writing about animal behavior and her experiences with autism.  In this book Gandin and Catherine Johnson explore the ways in which we can improve the lives of our dogs, cats, cows and more by understanding basic animal needs and behavior.  This book was fascinating.  Grandin's writing style is candid and light hearted.  The chapters read as if she is right in front of you. I learned that my kitten is a seeker and is prone some OCD.  Cows can register the color yellow and it agitates so maybe I should pick a rain jacket in blue or red.  Cows don't like shouting.  They are very sensitive to loud noises. It's okay if my dog decides that random person at the park is to be avoided.  She's using her wolf instincts and she has good reasons to do so.  Some of us non-fiction fanatics like to skip around during our reading.  With this title - you can go beginning to end or start with pigs and end on dogs. Either way, there is so much to be gained by learning a little more about our favorite home or farm pets.  I really want to read more of Grandin's books now.  She's brilliant.    

2 comments:

  1. I've loved Temple Grandin since I read "Thinking in Pictures." I'll definitely pick up this title, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review; I loved this book, too -- Temple Grandin has a deep understanding of animals that is an inspiration to all of us to really listen and care more for our animal friends.

    ReplyDelete