Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce #1)" by Alan Bradley

374 pages

Flavia de Luce isn't exactly your average eleven-year-old. Her mother died when she was young, so her father is raising her and her sisters by himself in their decrepit English mansion. More bizarrely, she's a self-taught aspiring chemist with a passion for poison. In the summer of 1950, a series of suspicious events cause Flavia to add "detective" to her list of talents. First a dead bird shows up on the doorstep with a postage stamp pinned to its beak. That night, Flavia overhears her father arguing with a mysterious stranger. Then, only hours later, she discovers a dead body in the cucumber patch. A murder has been committed, and Flavia is determined to solve the mystery--especially after her father is accused of the crime. 

Flavia is my new favorite heroine! I have a feeling that she would totally creep me out if I knew her in real life, but in print she comes across as delightful and charming. It's refreshing to have a young female character who is fearless, intelligent, and more interested in science than boys. Plus, she just cracked me up. The mystery was unique and had enough twists to keep me interested. This is definitely a series that I will be continuing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment