Monday, June 18, 2012

Treasure Island!!!

by Sara Levine 172 p.

          The summaries I had read of this book being about a directionless 25 year old woman who decides to live by the principles she finds in Robert Louis Stevenson's classic, Treasure Island, made me think this book would be like a fun adventure tale. It was more like a psychological and social journey that with many downturns. The second half has some surprises, but not fun adventure. Also, though the woman becomes obsessed with living like a classic children's novel, this is not one and some very disturbing events occur in the latter half.
      I picked it up because it sounded like a fun adventure and on that count it disappointed, but it is well written so I can see why I saw it on many suggested read lists on NPR.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment