Monday, June 18, 2012

Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury

202 pages, 2006.

I selected "Farewell Summer" in memory of Ray Bradbury who passed away recently and as my June challenge book since it has summer in the title--the multitasker in me loves the dual functions of a single title.

Anywhoo, "Farewell Summer" is the eagerly anticipated sequel to "Dandelion Wine" as is explained on the jacket, in the forward and afterward. I remember enjoying Dandelion Wine when we read it in school but admitedly had to refresh myself about the plot points before embarking on "Farewell Summer."

Our protaginist Doug returns from "Dandelion Wine," only this time he's not so concerned with the wine and his grandparents as he is making the most of summer as it quickly winds to a close and school takes priority. Doug, his brother Tom, and their gang of friends declare war on some of the elder members of town, and hijinks and corresponding punishments ensue.

"Farewell Summer" is a typical coming of age story, fun and easy to read. There was an aspect of the end that I thought was rather strange, but I'll just leave it at that because I don't want to ruin the end for others. Let me know your thoughts about the end if you happen to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment