Monday, October 31, 2011

"First Kill" (The Slayer Chronicles #1) by Heather Brewer

309 pages

"First Kill," the first book in this spin-off of the popular Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series, tells the story of Joss MacMillan, Vlad's friend-turned-enemy. He hasn't moved to Bathory yet when his life takes a tragic and dramatic turn; his sister is killed by a vampire, and Joss learns that he is next in a long line of vampire slayers in his family. This means that he has to stay with his eccentric uncle Abraham for a summer to undergo intense physical and mental training, but Joss is ready to do whatever it takes to avenge his sister's death. However, he soon realizes that being a slayer is more complicated than he originally thought--and that he can't trust everyone who seems to be a friend.

I am glad that us Vlad Tod fans have the chance to see Joss' perspective because I always thought that he was more interesting characters in the series. I was curious about what brought him to where he was. I was slightly disappointed with this first volume in the spin-off series, simply because it didn't seem like there was as much going on. "First Kill" is also more dark and less humerous than the Vladimir Tod series, which is okay, but I like the goofiness of Vlad Todd and I miss it. All in all, though, this story is fast-paced and interesting enough to keep me going quickly through it. I recommend it for fans of the Vladimir series, but it can also be read alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment