Sunday, October 30, 2011

Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-to-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening


by Annie Spiegelman
(2010 | 286 p)

Annie Spiegelman is a California Master Gardener and a proponent of organic gardening. I really enjoyed her tone in this book, light-hearted and witty. Much of the content is very basic introduction to the concept of organic gardening. I was pleased to find out I knew much of it already: embrace green manure crops, never underestimate the power of compost and mulch, and for goodness sake use a soaker hose. Got it! At the end of each chapter Annie also recommends a plant, giving each a whaa-whaa rating. (The higher the rating, the more complicated the plant.) This was a cute touch... but since I focus on planting only plants native to my area (or food) in my yard none of these recommendations really pertained to me.

A cute, browsable book on organic gardening. I'll give it a whaa-whaa rating of 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment