Saturday, July 9, 2011

“Starting with Alice” by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor


181 pages

This is the first of three prequels to the juvenile/young adult Alice series. Here, Alice is eight years old and in third grade. She’s just moved from Chicago to Takoma Park, Maryland, with her dad and 15-year-old brother, Lester (her mom died when she was four). As Alice struggles to fit into her new school, she finds herself getting into trouble at school for the first time and having difficulty making friends.

Alice is one of my favorite characters from my childhood books, and I like her just as much as a little kid as a pre-teen and teenager. I’ve recently read some of the latest Alice books, in which she is a senior in high school, and I’m amazed by how consistent some parts of her character are, while she still grows and matures throughout the series. As I’ve said in reviews of other Alice books, the secondary characters are phenomenal as well. I think almost anyone can relate to Alice and her friends’ struggles, insecurities, and awkwardness.

No comments:

Post a Comment