Friday, July 8, 2011

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

by J.K. Rowling, 435 pages

The muggle news is filled with stories about a dangerous criminal on the loose, but it isn't until his arrival at Diagon Alley that Harry learns Sirius Black is actually an escapee from the wizard prison Azkaban.  What's worse, it seems Black is after Harry.  Harry's friends and teachers are intent on keeping him safe in the school, which means he's the only student in his year not allowed to visit the magical village of Hogsmeade.  Added to that, Harry has to deal with dementors- the Azkaban guards, his divination teacher continually predicting his death, and sightings of the grim (the most ominous death omen).

It's been a while since I've read this one, so it's not too surprising that the movie version overrode a few of the finer points of Rowling's writing.  Once again, I'm impressed by the details, the humor, and the heart in this series.  Don't get me wrong- I love the movies, but rereading the books reminds me of how much more there is to writing than simply plot.  Something that I wish I could impress upon those poor souls who think they don't need to read the books because they've seen the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment