Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Ummm, I liked this book but I wonder how many children of Newbery reading age will think it's the "best book I've read in ages" as Patricia Reilly Giff apparently said.  (Her words are on the cover of my copy.)  It's good to see someone so geographically close to us win a Newbery award and it's cool that she mentions Joplin quite frequently and Springfield on occasion and maybe I read it too quickly.  I did like the story of a young girl who's wandering father sends her to Manifest, Kansas.  I liked her relationships with the town's various characters and I'm kind of a sucker for kids who've had it tough, but it felt a bit forced to me.  Still, I'm glad I read it and hope others will, too.  Don't kill me for not raving my love!
Kim F

No comments:

Post a Comment