Sunday, June 19, 2011

"I Love Him to Pieces or My Date is Dead Weight or He Only Loves Me for my Brains (My Boyfriend is a Monster #1)" by Evonne Tsang and Janina Gorrissen

123 pages

Dicey and Jack seem like complete opposites. She's the outgoing star of her high school baseball team, while Jack is a shy, brilliant valedictorian-to-be. But after a school project brings them together, it seems that they were meant to be together. Then a strange illness suddenly breaks out--a disease that eats victims' brains and makes them hungry for the living. Dicey and Jack have to work together to stay alive and get to safety so they can live long enough to go on their second date.

I really enjoyed this short, fun graphic novel. The plot isn't anything original--pretty standard zombie stuff--but I really like the characters. I love that Dicey is such a strong person and shows that a girl can excel at a "boys'" sport and still be feminine. Jack is sort of a stereotypical nerd, but he's so sweet that I love him anyway. I want more stories about Dicey and Jack, but they wrap things up pretty well in this story and I think that each book in the "My Boyfriend is a Monster" series is about different characters. Bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment