Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"The Pout-Pout Fish" by Deborah Diesen


"I'm a pout-pout fish with a pout-pout face..."


The pout-pout fish swims around with a perpetual pout. All his friends try to cheer him up but he just can't beat the dreary-wearies - until a beautiful angel fish comes along and plants a kiss on his pout and changes his entire outlook on things.

OK, so we don't know why he's pouting. I presume he's depressed. And when all his friends tell him to buck up that just won't do. Then a random stranger comes along and shows him some affection and his disposition changes. He then goes around showing that affection to others. I think it's a positive message - if nothing else, it's a good excuse to kiss on my baby at the end of the book.

The artwork in this book is phenomenal. Really colorful and enjoyable to explore. Also, it's written in a very musical, rhythmic way. I actually enjoy singing the book to my son as much as I do reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment