Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dollhouse Fairy by Jane Ray

2010/32 pgs.

About the Book: Rosy loves her dollhouse. Every Saturday Rosy gets up and plays with the dollhouse with her father. But one Saturday Rosy wakes up and finds out her father is sick and had to go to the hospital. While he's gone, Rosy finds a fairy taking up residence in her dollhouse. The fairy has a hurt wing so Rosy helps mend the fairy and get her flying again until her father can come home.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: Child Sarah would have loved this book. Give this to me in first grade and I would have been looking for fairies in every dollhouse. And while it's a charming fairy story and it does stand out in the crowded field of fairy books, adult Sarah wasn't that big of a fan. I think it was the artwork. The dollhouse was awesome and made me want to go play with my old childhood dollhouse again. And the fairy was OK-she looked how a fairy should look. But the humans I thought looked weird and a bit creepy. I guess I like my humans to be a bit more lifelike in illustrations.

I also thought the story was a bit messy. First the story is about Rosy and her dad, than about the fairy, then her dad again. I don't know how many kids will catch on to the fact that Rosy is mending the fairy while her dad is on the mend and it's her way of dealing with her father's illness.

Fairy fans will love it I'm sure, even if it wasn't my favorite fairy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment