Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Monkey With a Toolbelt" by Chris Monroe


"Goodnight, toolbelt!"

Chico Bon Bon is a handymonkey who uses his multitude of tools (and an awesome toolbelt) to build and fix things for his friends and family. But when he is captured by an evil organ grinder, will his toolbelt be enough to help him escape?

This book was a total adventure. I felt like a kid again as I read through the pages, biting my nails as Chico is captured and exploring the intricate artwork of Chris Monroe. There is a lot to discover in each individual illustration as Monroe is all about the details - including a page detailing every tool in Chico's toolbelt (pajama hammer, banana hammer, turkey wrench, snozzer, squeegee...I could go on)

It also teaches the reader about resourcefulness. When Chico is put in a bad situation, he uses what he's got to fix it. He's also a good role model because he uses his tools to help his family and friends. This was a very enjoyable, exciting read!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me that I wanted to add her books to next year's neice and nephew Christmas lists. Chico Bon Bon is adorable! The big detailed two-page spreads remind me of Richard Scarry, whom I also love.

    ReplyDelete