Thursday, March 8, 2012

Foundation

The Collegium Chronicles, volume one
by Mercedes Lackey, 335 pages

This is the first work of Lackey's that I have read, a new series of novels about the founding of the Collegium in Valdemar. It introduces Mags (short for Magpie), a young slave living a brutish existence in the crystal mines. When a herald arrives on the scene, Mags is rescued and learns he is one of the Chosen. Magical horses called Companions choose their riders, and a telepathic connection is formed between horse and rider. The horses are very smart, and it is through his Companion Dallen that Mags learns to make his way in the Collegium for heralds. Because he's an outlander, Mags has a hard time making friends. Soon however, he is befriended by Lena, a Bardic student and Bear, A Healer trainee.

Of course there are evil doings in the city, and it falls to the 3 students and Dallen to make certain that matters are cleared up. The relationship between Herald and Companion is an interesting one, which kept me reading. The trio of friends reminded me a bit too much of Harry, Ron and Hermione, which I found distracting. It probably would have helped if I was familiar with the larger world-building Lackey has done in her other series.

While I enjoyed reading it, I don't know that I found it compelling enough to continue on with the series. I may go back to it, but now I am engrossed in reading two other popular fantasy series,
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, and the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment