Sunday, March 4, 2012

"Chopsticks" by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral

272 pages

This is basically a scrapbook of photos, letters, text messages, and more that tells a story. And what an interesting story it is. After her mother died, piano prodigy Glory retreated into herself and her music. Her single father raised her with a rigid schedule and a lot of pressure to be the best. Now, as we learn in the first few pages, 17-year-old Glory is missing. From there, readers flash back to the events leading up to her disappearance, which include a whirlwind romance with the boy who moves in next door.

"Chopsticks" is one of the most interesting books I've read in a while. Obviously, the format is unique and fascinating in itself. There's lots to look at on almost every page, and the items shown facilitate a lot characterization despite the lack of words. The pages just make you feel Glory's emotions: loneliness, happiness, depression, etc. Furthermore, clues to the mystery surrounding Glory's disappearance are hidden among the pages. When I got to the end, I thought about it for a long time. I couldn't quite put all the pieces together on my own, but after talking to some friends about it, I've got some interesting ideas about what went down. I don't want to put any spoilers here, but I'm looking forward to hearing what other people think of it and what they think happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment