Tuesday, February 14, 2012

420 Characters

by Lou Beach, 169 pages.

Let me start by saying that I love looking at this book with its striking red and gold cover. I tried in vain to share an image with you, but that's a challenge for another day.

Already an accomplished artist, 420 Characters is the author's debut work in writing and features some of his collages. Take or leave the collages, they don't have much to do with the writing from what I could tell. Maybe they reflect the chaos that is 420 Characters. I say that because the stories in the book were all Facebook statuses (limited to 420 characters) and have little, if anything, to do with one another, so it seems a little chaotic.

Each page is a tiny, self-contained story. Some are cute, some are sad. Some beg the question, what was the point? And still others leave you wanting more, more, more.

It's a quick, mostly fun read that reminds us of the influence social media has, I just prefer stories with a little more meat to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment