Monday, January 30, 2012

"Fake Mustache" by Tom Angleberger

208 pages

Lenny Flem, Jr., is a pretty regular sixth grader. So how does he end up being the only thing standing between an evil genius and the destruction of the country? It all starts with a fake mustache. A very special fake mustache, which his best-friend-slash-evil-genius is using to take over the world. With a little help from Jodie O'Rodeo, the TV cowgirl of Lenny's dreams, he just might be able to save the planet.

A friend/coworker went to ALA Midwinter and picked up this advanced reader's copy for me because she knows how much I love Angleberger's Origami Yoda (thanks, Sarah Bean Thompson!). I don't think "Fake Mustache" quite lives up to Origami Yoda, but that's a pretty stinkin' high standard and I loved this book just the same. I think Angleberger really remembers what it's like to be a kid, so reading his books makes me feel like I'm inside the head of my 11-year-old self and I love it. Many adults will enjoy it for that element of nostalgia, while it's funny and wacky in a way that kids will like.

No comments:

Post a Comment