Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Call of the Wild" by Jack London

218 pages

Buck, part St. Bernard, part Scotch shepherd, has a pretty fantastic life as the alpha dog on the farm of a wealthy judge. He's got all the food he wants, plenty of space to roam, and people who love him. All of that changes, however, when he is stolen and sold by one of the judge's employees, who needs the money to pay off gambling debts. The Klondike Gold Rush was in motion, and sled dogs were in high demand. This causes Buck to be taken to Alaska, where he joins a crew and begins leading long, strenuous journeys across the frozen landscape.

I wish I'd read this book as a kid. As much as I enjoyed it this time, as an adult, I know I would have really been crazy about it when I was younger. It's got everything I liked back then: animals, nature, adventure, fighting. However, as I said, this is one that adults can enjoy as well. It seems like one that is great for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment