Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Silent in the Grave

A Lady Julia Grey Mystery

by Deanna Raybourn, 509 pages

Somehow I missed this historical series when it debuted back in 2007. So far I've read this one and the third one (when I couldn't wait for volume 2). I am liking it well enough to read a few more.


This first line definitely perked up my interest:

To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.

That hook gives you a taste of the tone of the book, which has a wry sense of humor throughout. In fact, I think the witty style captured my attention more than the mystery itself.

When Lady Julia Grey's husband dies at a party in their own home, she blames Edward's death on his physical infirmities. Her husband's inquiry agent, Nicholas Brisbane, tells her that it was murder, but Julia thinks Brisbane is just a bounder trying to capitalize on Edward's death. A year later evidence turns up which leads Julia back to Brisbane, and the two of them set about trying to find out who the killer is.

The sense of danger intertwines with a growing attraction between Julia and Brisbane. Though the mystery is solved at the end of the book, the relationship between the main characters is not. Of course not!

I haven't read the second book yet, so I don't know what happens between Julia and Brisbane after the events in volume one. I am happy to read Silent in the Sanctuary to find out!



No comments:

Post a Comment