Friday, September 30, 2011

The Challenge of Library Management: Leading with Emotional Engagement by Wyoma VanDuinkerken & Pixey Anne Mosley

"Common sense is not so common." ~Voltaire

I liked this book! Most books geared towards librarians bug the heck out of me. Either they are simplistic or they are so focused on theory with no realization of the real library world (especially public librarianship) that I want to throw the book across the room only I have to go break up an argument over a .50 cent fine. Was that snarky of me? So, sorry. 

The authors really made me open up my brain and think more about the process of change and how we need to understand it on an emotional level. This is a perfect librarian companion to Resonant Leadership. Change is disruptive and messy. It is human nature to resist this and resistance can only be truly turned into acceptance and empowerment with clear cut information, discussion and buy-in on all levels. I think it really all comes down to respect and compassion for every person you work with and interact with. A huge, huge task but in the end a very necessary one. 2011, 169 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment