Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mygale


by Thierry Jonquet
translated by Donald Nicholson-Smith
129 pgs

I have a thing for books that have been made into movies. So, when I overheard a conversation about the movie based on Mygale, I had to read it. Though the movie is very controversial and has mixed reviews, I wish I hadn't known about the premise before I read this book. The mystery and twist were ruined by my prior knowledge, so I won't reveal much in this post.

Richard Lafarque is a brilliant and deeply disturbed plastic surgeon. Though his professional life is flourishing, his personal life is quite sinister. His daughter is in a mental institution and he has trouble dealing with it. He keeps his female companion locked up and only brings her out to parade her around or abuse her in unspeakable ways. As the story progresses, clues about how he became the way he is, why he treats his companion this way and why his daughter is in an institution are revealed. This noir thriller with a psycho-sexual edge is twisted enough to keep you interested and guessing until the last pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment