Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

by J. K. Rowling, 309 pages

I'm sure we all know the story by know, but just in case you've been living on Mars for the last 14 years:

Harry Potter has possibly the worst family ever.  His aunt and uncle hate anything and anyone out of the ordinary and continually find fault with Harry for not being normal. He has to live in a cupboard under the stairs and wear his very large cousin's hand-me downs. Added to that, he doesn't have any friends because everyone is terrified to cross his bully of a cousin, and Dudley's favorite pastime is picking on Harry.  His miserable existence changes with the unexpected revelation that Harry is really a wizard.  When he leaves to go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry is an instant celebrity for events that happened when he was only a baby.  Along with his fame comes the threat of an old enemy, one who strikes fear into the hearts of witches and wizards everywhere.

I'm using the upcoming release of the final Harry Potter movie as an excuse to re-read one of my favorite series.  My husband saw me with this book and asked, "Haven't you read all those books like four times already?"   Well, yes, but a good book is just as thrilling the fifth time around as the first.  And I think that's all the endorsement I need to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment