Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Whose Body?

by Dorothy Sayers  224 pages

Whose Body? is the first in the Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers. We meet Lord Peter, who is much smarter than his mindless, foppish exterior would lead you to believe. He uses this to his advantage to work as an amateur detective: "assisting" Inspector Charles Parker of the Scotland Yard. It's a fun combination of quirky characters including Bunter, Lord Peter's valet, and his mother the Dowager Duchess, and a gruesome mystery.

The story begins with a dead man found in a bath tub, naked except for a pair of pince nez, and the adventure continues including a missing financier, anatomical dissection, and the best way to navigate across London rooftops.

2 comments:

  1. I love Sayers! I've read half the Wimsey short stories and all but the last few novels. I didn't want them to be over, so I walked away for a while...and forgot to come back to them. :(
    Thanks for reminding me! :D I'm hoping they someday make a TV / film series of them that hits the spot (as much as I like Ian Carmichael, he's just not Peter for me--also, they are suuuuuper 70s; Edward Petherbridge is closer, but I'd love to see something new).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete