Friday, May 20, 2011

The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz



My friend, Erin, recommended this book almost two years ago and I did what any of our patrons would do.  I looked it up on google and read what the websites had to say!  I loved the idea of using these four simple rules to live by and I started thinking about how I could incorporate them into my life but I didn't get around to reading the book until now.  Although my husband would probably characterize some of the language in the book as "self-help mumbo jumbo" the agreements make plenty of sense to me and have already helped me to reframe some of my thoughts in a more positive way.  So, I don't mind a little mumbo jumbo if it leads to greater happiness!
1.  Be Impeccable with Your Word-tell the truth-to yourself and to everyone else. 
2.  Don't Take Anything Personally-(my personal nemesis) Nothing others do is because of you.
3.  Don't Make Assumptions-Be courageous enough to ask when you don't know something and to express what you really want.  Communicate clearly with others to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.
4.  Always Do Your Best- Your best might change from minute to minute but just do the best you can, always.
Kim F

No comments:

Post a Comment