Sunday, May 15, 2011

"Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?" by Max Brallier

384 pages

Remember those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books that used to be popular for kids? Here's an adult--a very adult--version. You start out as a 20-something male working in a boring Manhattan office job when the zombie plague breaks out. What happens after that is up to you. With 100 different paths to 50 endings, there's plenty of variety. You could find yourself killing a Nazi, beheading zombie strippers, flying to safety in a NY Yankee's private jet, riding with Hell's Angels, being saved by a museum curator/ninja, and/or many other crazy things.

This unique format is a lot of fun. At first I just dove in and made choices that seemed smart, and later I went back and marked the pages as I went to make sure I followed all of the paths. Flipping around every few pages was kind of annoying to me, but it was well worth it. My only other complaint is that some of the endings don't seem like real endings to me--sometimes the storyline ends while it's still uncertain what is going to happen in the long term. That said, I still loved this book. In addition to the fun of making choices, the writing itself is pretty funny. I especially enjoyed the goofy chapter titles, such as "Chivalry Isn't Dead (But You Might Be)" and "Making Tom Berenger Proud."


No comments:

Post a Comment