Friday, May 20, 2011

Fire

by Kristin Cashore, 461 pages

Fire is the last of her kind, a human monster, both incredibly beautiful and able to control the minds of the people around her.  In an attempt to live down the horrors that her father, also a human monster, visited upon the Dells, Fire keeps a low profile and avoids the politics of a kingdom on the verge of war.  Until the arrival of foggy-minded strangers and increasing tensions between the lords of the Dells force her to take center stage in the unfolding battle.

When I started this book, I thought it was a sequel to Cashore's first book Graceling.  It's kind of linked- Fire is set in a bordering land and has one connecting character, but seems to take place a couple of decades before the events in Graceling.  It didn't take me long to stop looking for connections between the two books.  Fire is a compelling character and the world in which she lives is untamed and less oppressive than the world in Graceling.  This book works well as a stand alone- I actually liked this story better than the first.  It's layered with intrigue, threats and blood and has just enough romantic tension to be interesting.  I did figure out a couple of the plot points well in advance, but that didn't bother me... it just made me feel smart!

1 comment:

  1. I loved Fire too! I agree, I wish it was a little more up-front about being a companion novel instead of a sequel because most of the negative reviews I've seen about it have revolved around the fact that it is not a sequel. I loved it though and I am so excited for the third to come out!

    ReplyDelete