Thursday, April 14, 2011

Rage by Jackie Morse Kessler



2011/228 pgs

About the Book: Missy didn't mean to cut. But after a bad school party and torment from her ex-boyfriend, Missy seeks comfort in the blade. Then Death shows up and grants Missy a sword and claims she is now a Horseman of the Apocalypse, more specifically, War. As War, Missy has a larger blade that can cut down anyone in her path. Through it all Missy learns the one thing that's been missing: control.

Sarah Teenlibaran Says: Rage is part of Jackie Morse Kessler's Horsemen of the Apocalypse series, which are very inventive books that tackle very serious issues.

When I first read the premise of the books, I wasn't sure how they would work, but the author manages to pull off a story that takes an issue that needs to be discussed and handles it in deft way. She's never preachy and the story is never perfect with a happy ending. Even with it's bent of fantasy with the Horsemen, the characters ring true.

Missy not only struggles with cutting, but she's being bullied at school. There's not a perfect solution and there's no easy way out, but there is hope. I think teens will appreciate that honesty.

I liked Rage because we get to see the character of Death more than we did in Hunger. I really like Death and in many ways he reminds me of Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer-snarky and funny but also a bit sensitive. While Missy's story might not resonate with every reader, I do think it's an important book and I really like the way the author tackles tough subjects in a creative way. She also adds a dark sense of humor so the book never feels heavy and issue driven-there are some lighter moments as well.

I'm looking forward to see if we get any more novels about the Horsemen!

No comments:

Post a Comment