Thursday, April 14, 2011

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon

221 pages

Christopher is 15, loves computer games, and is brilliant at math. He also has autism. He hates being touched, despises everything that is yellow or brown, and can't relate to most emotions. In the "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time," we get inside Christopher's head as he investigates the murder of his neighbor's dog. In the process, he learns some shocking stuff about his own family and goes on an adventure that pushes him beyond his well-established comfort zone.

I first read this book a couple of years ago and loved it, and I thought it was just as good this time around. Christopher's perspective is incredibly interesting and it seems like an accurate portrayal of someone with Asperger's (admittedly, this is only my impression as I don't know a lot about autism). Some people I know who've read this book got bored with some of Christopher's detailed descriptions, but I actually like those parts because they show how his mind works. Seeing the world the way Christopher does made me think about things in different ways than I normally do.

No comments:

Post a Comment